By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://contracostafirefighters.org/
Contra Costa County Residents Can Now Text 911 for an Emergency
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY (KRON) - If you live in Contra Costa County, you can now text 911 in the event of an emergency.
The Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff announced the news on Wednesday.
Authorities say during an emergency it's still advised to call 911 first, but if you are unable to speak or in a situation where it is unsafe to speak, you can send a text to 911.
Here's how it works:
- To send a text, enter the numbers 911 in the "To" field.
- The body of the text should include the exact location of the emergency and if you need police, fire, or an ambulance.
- You're then asked to answer questions and follow the instructions of the 911 call-taker.
- Keep your texts short and simple with no abbreviations, jargon, or slang.
- Do not send any photos or videos.
- Text to 911 is only available in English.
- Text to 911 may not be available in all areas.
Authorities say this method is slower than calling 911 and are reminding people to call 911 if you can, text if you can't.
- original article posted by KRON4 News