Warm weather is here and so is time to enjoy the outdoors and swimming with kids.
Safekids.org has published 6 safety tips for parents with kids when swimming:
Pool Safety Checklist
TIPS FOR PARENTS
1. Watch kids when they are in or around water, without being distracted. Keep young children within arm’s reach of an adult. Make sure older children swim with a partner every time.
2. Teach children how to swim. Every child is different, so enroll children in swim lessons when they are ready. Consider their age, development and how often they are around water.
3. Make sure kids know how to swim and learn these five water survival skills:
- Step or jump into water over their head and return to the surface.
- Float or tread water for one minute.
- Turn around in a full circle and find an exit.
- Swim 25 yards to exit the water.
- Exit the water. If in a pool, be able to exit without using the ladder.
5. Empty kids’ pools after each use. Store them upside down so they do not collect water.
6. Know what to do in an emergency. Learning CPR and basic water rescue skills may help you save a child’s life.
LINKS ON POOL SAFETYPOOL SAFETY
CHILD DROWNING PREVENTION
SWIMMING SAFETY TIPS